Thursday, May 22, 2008

The first day of the rest of my life...

As cliche as that sounds, it's true. I woke up this morning knowing that today (and every subsequent day) was going to be different from the previous ones.

Anyone reading this may be wondering what exactly my plan is to concoct this turn around of my life. Well, to tell the truth, I don't have a grand plan yet, but I do have some things I'm implementing to start myself on that path. As with the quote I posted yesterday, we need only take one step at a time to complete a journey, but we must keep on stepping. Therefore I am not going to do anything drastic right away. Rather, many small adjustments over time will hopefully work out the best.

Firstly, I've picked up some strawberries to serve as my mindless snacking food for now. One of my biggest problems is not eating a lot in one sitting, but just eating little bits of stuff here and there throughout the entire day. To start, I'm going to replace those snacking habits with healthy fruits and veggies. Ideally, I will eventually get it where I'm not snacking during the day much. This should also become much easier once I settle into a routine at work starting in August.

Secondly, I need to start replacing trips by car or bus with ones by bike. I've always enjoyed biking but since getting my car in February, I seem to constantly defer to the motorcar as my main mode of transport. That needs to stop, not only for my health, but also for the $4.09 gas prices I can see when i walk out of my apartment building.

Third, I am going to make a conscious effort to cook more food for dinner rather than grabbing something from a restaurant. Once again, this will help not only make me lighter, but also my wallet and bank account heavier.

I feel that with just these three changes, and cutting soda out of my diet except when I'm out to eat, should jump start me on the correct path which I can then build off of to continue my journey.

1 comment:

Road Warrior said...

I can't tell you how much cutting soda out of your diet does for you. You may miss it, but don't give in! I'm to the point now where if I need sweet, I mix lemonade or strawberry lemonade (small quantities) with club soda. Everything else is too sweet, and you'll get used to it.